Are you a victim of an overpriced auto insurance policy? Don't sweat it because there are a lot of people in Wilkinsburg just like you who feel imprisoned by their auto insurance policy.
A recent study showed that a large majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Pennsylvania could save an average of roughly 55% each year just by shopping around, but they don't believe the big savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Since drivers have many insurance providers from which to choose, it is hard for the average consumer to find the best insurer.
It's smart to price shop coverage before your policy renews because insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the best deal on auto insurance last year you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we're going to show you the fastest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Why your price might be higher
Many things are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although others are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
Multi-policy discounts can save money - Most larger insurance companies afford a discount to customers who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it's in your best interest to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find a better deal even if you insure with multiple companies
Small claims can cost you - If you tend to file frequent claims, you should expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance companies in Pennsylvania provide discounts to insureds that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your car insurance is intended for larger claims.
Better rates on safer cars - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce the chance of injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates. If your vehicle earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
Low deductibles mean high premiums - The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage coverage, also called 'full coverage', is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are rearending another vehicle, hail damage, or theft of your vehicle. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your insurance will be.
There are several ways to compare quotes from all the different companies. The easiest way by far to lower the rate you pay for insurance is to perform an online rate comparison.
Comparing free rates online is easy and it, makes it obsolete to drive to local Wilkinsburg insurance agencies. Comparing online rate quotes can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you prefer the professional guidance of a local Wilkinsburg agent. Some companies do allow you to get prices online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find more affordable rates.
The following companies offer comparison quotes in Wilkinsburg, PA. If you want to find the best auto insurance in Pennsylvania, it's a good idea that you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,232||$616||$103|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$1,472||$736||$123|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$740||$370||$62|
|Ford Explorer Limited 2WD||$1,172||$586||$98|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,026||$513||$86|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,090||$545||$91|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,136||$568||$95|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$804||$402||$67|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,272||$636||$106|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,144||$572||$95|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,024||$512||$85|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,056||$528||$88|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,166||$583||$97|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in Wilkinsburg location which can change premiums greatly.
Cautious Wilkinsburg drivers save money
The information below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders can impact Kia Optima insurance premiums for different insured age categories. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The information below shows the comparison of GMC Acadia car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula for phasing out physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is about 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your GMC Acadia replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing you more than $700 annually for physical damage coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not drop full coverage.
Beware of misleading car insurance ads
Respected companies like State Farm and Allstate constantly bombard you with television, radio, and online ads. All the companies seem to make the promise that drivers can save some big amount just by switching to their company. How does each company charge lower premium rates? Here is the trick they use.
Insurance companies have specific characteristics for the type of insured that earns them a profit. One example of a profitable risk profile may need to be over age 30, has had continuous coverage, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Anyone who matches that profile is entitled to the best price as well as save when switching.
Insureds who fall short of those standards may be required to pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not purchasing. The trick companies use is to say "customers who switch" not "everyone that quotes" can save as much as they claim. That's why companies can advertise the way they do.
This emphasizes why you absolutely need to get Wilkinsburg car insurance quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Wilkinsburg, paying for insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will force you to buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle gets damaged, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average American driver is overpaying more than $750 every year so we recommend shopping around every year to ensure rates are inline.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even know about. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
- College Student - Kids who are attending college and do not take a car to college can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are much safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Membership in Organizations - Participating in certain professional organizations could trigger savings on your policy.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Buying insurance for several vehicles with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Low Mileage - Keeping the miles down can qualify you for slightly better rates than normal.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though the math looks like it's possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
Companies and some of their more popular discounts are included below.
- 21st Century may offer discounts for air bags, student driver, homeowners, theft prevention, early bird, driver training, and 55 and older.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, good student, driver's education, good driver, passive restraint, and Drive Safe & Save.
- AAA includes discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, pay-in-full, good driver, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including new vehicle discount, good student, teen driver discount, multi-policy, and exclusive group savings.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
It's a good idea to ask all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. Some credits might not be offered in every state. To locate auto insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Pennsylvania, click this link.
Cover all your bases
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to compare auto insurance rates in Wilkinsburg. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Wilkinsburg car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Pennsylvania Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Lancaster, PA? (FAQ)
- How Much is Pennsylvania Car Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Homeowners in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)