Overpriced car insurance in Erie can empty your personal savings and make it hard to pay other bills.
It's astonishing, but most consumers in Pennsylvania kept their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never compared rates with other companies. Many consumers in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don't grasp the actual amount they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy. People have so many insurance companies to pick from, and although it's a good thing to have a selection, more options can take longer to compare company pricing for Ford F-150 insurance in Erie.
It's smart to do rate comparisons as often as possible since insurance prices change frequently. If you had the lowest price on Ford F-150 insurance in Erie at your last renewal you can probably find a better rate now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're about to learn the best methods to buy cheaper Ford F-150 insurance in Erie.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Pennsylvania. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you visit as many as you can to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$136||$174||$330||$20||$98||$758||$63|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$246||$420||$330||$20||$98||$1,114||$93|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$172||$322||$428||$26||$128||$1,076||$90|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$132||$250||$428||$26||$128||$964||$80|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$118||$218||$346||$20||$104||$806||$67|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$200||$278||$336||$20||$100||$934||$78|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$236||$284||$432||$26||$130||$1,108||$92|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$122||$188||$316||$18||$94||$738||$62|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$244||$412||$346||$20||$104||$1,126||$94|
|F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$314||$518||$444||$26||$134||$1,436||$120|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$290||$352||$432||$26||$130||$1,230||$103|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$314||$518||$444||$26||$134||$1,436||$120|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$258||$386||$340||$20||$102||$1,106||$92|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$246||$346||$346||$20||$104||$1,062||$89|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$278||$346||$336||$20||$100||$1,080||$90|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$200||$278||$346||$20||$104||$948||$79|
|F-150 FX2 2WD||$226||$338||$336||$20||$100||$1,020||$85|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$202||$270||$432||$26||$130||$1,060||$88|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$274||$502||$372||$22||$112||$1,282||$107|
|F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$328||$428||$432||$26||$130||$1,344||$112|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$170||$304||$428||$26||$128||$1,056||$88|
|F-150 FX4 4WD||$246||$424||$310||$18||$92||$1,090||$91|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$274||$502||$346||$20||$104||$1,246||$104|
|F-150 SVT Raptor Super Cab 4WD||$274||$528||$372||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4WD||$354||$630||$444||$26||$134||$1,588||$132|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$234||$408||$330||$20||$98||$1,090||$91|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$170||$360||$428||$26||$128||$1,112||$93|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$152||$312||$372||$22||$112||$970||$81|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$170||$312||$372||$22||$112||$988||$82|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$220||$390||$444||$26||$134||$1,214||$101|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 4WD||$306||$590||$372||$22||$112||$1,402||$117|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in specific Erie garaging location which can modify auto insurance rates considerably.
Car insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The example below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents raise Ford F-150 annual premium costs for each different age group. Data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Cost of full coverage
The example below shows the comparison of Ford F-150 auto insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The price estimates are based on no violations or claims, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no definitive formula of when to drop full coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Ford F-150 claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $700 annually for physical damage coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Get discounts to get affordable Erie car insurance quotes
Companies don't always advertise every discount they offer in a way that's easy to find, so we researched some of the best known and the harder-to-find discounts that may be available.
- Pay Early and Save - By paying your entire bill at once as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Student Driver Training - Teen drivers should take driver's ed class in school.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote Erie car insurance with some car insurance companies.
- Anti-theft System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency and earn discounts up to 10% off your Erie car insurance quote.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Waiver for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO will forgive one accident before raising your premiums so long as you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low annual miles could qualify for lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
We need to note that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
To see companies who offer discounts in Erie, click here to view.
Insurance agents can help
Some consumers still like to talk to a local agent and that is OK! Most agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Erie.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Erie who want to provide quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you instantly. If you need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
If you're trying to find a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Erie can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either can insure your vehicles properly, but it's worth learning how they are different since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If premiums increase, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to find a new agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you get quotes from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Featured below are independent insurance agencies in Erie who may provide cheap rate quotes.
Loesel-Schaaf Insurance Agency
3537 W 12th St - Erie, PA 16505 - (814) 833-5433 - View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They usually cannot provide other company's prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Erie willing to provide price quote information.
Picking the best car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- How many years have they been established?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Erie?
Upon receiving good feedback to any questions you have as well as a price you're happy with, you may have just found an insurance agency that is a good match to adequately provide auto insurance.
Get Cheap Insurance Premiums by Understanding These Factors
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the factors that help calculate your premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find lower auto insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the items used by insurance companies to determine your premiums.
- Drivers with high credit save - A driver's credit score is a large factor in determining your rates. If your credit score could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Ford F-150 by improving your rating. People that have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Prevent your car from being stolen - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
- Pleasure use saves money - The more you drive your Ford in a year's time the more you will pay for auto insurance. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than those used for commuting. It's a smart idea to ensure your auto insurance policy reflects the right rating data. An improperly rated F-150 may be costing you.
- The type of car makes a difference - The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. Since the Ford F-150 falls in the pickup truck class, rates will be similar in price than the average rate where you live in Erie. Lower cost passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Ford F-150 insurance loss probability - Insurance companies use past insurance losses in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that the data shows to have increased losses will cost more to insure. The next table shows the actual insurance loss data for Ford F-150 vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is considered to be 100. Percentage numbers below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Ford F-150 Insurance Claim Statistics
Specific Ford Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford F-150 SuperCab 4WD 67 110 39 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2WD 42 93 72 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD 75 76 101 56 57 76
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though Erie F-150 insurance rates can get expensive, paying for auto insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your F-150 has a loan, almost every bank will require that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in Pennsylvania overpays more than $865 each year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Smart consumers save more
When getting Erie car insurance quotes online, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced full coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Some auto insurance companies do not offer online quoting and usually these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents. Low-cost Ford F-150 insurance in Erie can be bought from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Erie agents, so you need to compare both so you have a total pricing picture.
More information is located at the links below
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Pennsylvania Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Pennsylvania Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)