Want to learn the secrets to finding cheaper auto insurance rates in Bethlehem, PA? Paying cheaper premium rates for auto insurance is always challenging for beginners to comparison shopping online. With such a large number of online companies, it can easily be a burden to find the lowest price on auto insurance.
It's hard to believe, but the vast majority of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average premium in Pennsylvania being $1,360, drivers could cut their rates by nearly 55% a year by just comparing quotes, but they just feel it's too hard to shop around.
The best way we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area is to take advantage of the fact most of the bigger providers allow for online access to provide you with free rate quotes. All you need to do is provide a little information like how much you drive, if you are currently licensed, level of coverage desired, and driver details. Your rating data gets sent immediately to multiple top-rated companies and they return rate quotes instantly.
To find lower rates now, click here and enter your zip code.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Pennsylvania. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,040||$520||$87|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,472||$736||$123|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Ford Edge SEL 2WD||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$736||$368||$61|
|Ford Explorer XLT 2WD||$1,070||$535||$89|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$746||$373||$62|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$848||$424||$71|
|Honda Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,366||$683||$114|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$766||$383||$64|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4WD 4-Dr||$790||$395||$66|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$940||$470||$78|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$970||$485||$81|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$954||$477||$80|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Rate quotes do not factor in specific location which can lower or raise coverage rates considerably.
Insurance premiums for males and females
The chart below shows the difference between insurance prices for male and female drivers in Bethlehem. The data is based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Honda Pilot LX.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
The illustration below illustrates how your deductible choice and can raise or lower Honda Civic annual premium costs for different ages of insureds. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The chart below shows the difference between Nissan Altima insurance prices with full coverage compared to only the Pennsylvania minimum liability coverage. The premiums assume no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, married female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut rule of when to phase out physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's assume your Nissan Altima settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $5,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it's costing in excess of $500 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage in place.
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Despite the high cost, buying car insurance serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's most likely the lender will force you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Pennsylvania is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Verify you're receiving every discount
Auto insurance is expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you get a quote, but some must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car model can save up to 30% since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Senior Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 may receive a slight reduction on a Bethlehem auto insurance quote.
- Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts as much as 30%.
Discounts save money, but please remember that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these money-saving discounts include:
Double check with all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to coverage, there really isn't a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every insured's situation is different.
For example, these questions might point out if you will benefit from professional help.
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions, being labeled a high risk driver and policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new car insurance company is not as hard as you think.
We just showed you some good ideas how you can lower your car insurance rates in Bethlehem. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. You may even find the most savings is with the smaller companies.
While you're price shopping online, it's a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Active Military in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Bethlehem, PA? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Kia Forte in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Pennsylvania Car Insurance Rates for Teachers? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)