Trying to find cheaper insurance for a car in Pennsylvania can turn out to be difficult, but you can follow the following methods to save time.
There is a right way and a wrong way to find insurance online and you need to know the quickest way to quote coverages on a and get the cheapest rates.
Quoting the best-priced auto insurance policy in Wilkes-Barre can be fairly easy. If you're already insured or need a new policy, use these tips to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Vehicle owners only have to learn the most efficient way to shop their coverage around using one simple form.
How to buy Wilkes-Barre car insurance online
Finding a better price on car insurance is not rocket science. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing rates to discover which company has inexpensive Wilkes-Barre auto insurance quotes.
The providers in the list below provide quotes in Wilkes-Barre, PA. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in Pennsylvania, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,058||$529||$88|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$780||$390||$65|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$1,050||$525||$88|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$1,050||$525||$88|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$1,054||$527||$88|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,216||$608||$101|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,108||$554||$92|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$842||$421||$70|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$832||$416||$69|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,036||$518||$86|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,444||$722||$120|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$944||$472||$79|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,006||$503||$84|
|Toyota Camry LE||$766||$383||$64|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,384||$692||$115|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD||$866||$433||$72|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase price quotes substantially.
The chart below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can raise or lower Honda Accord premium costs for different categories of driver ages. The prices are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by age and gender
The chart below shows the comparison of car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Wilkes-Barre. The premiums assume no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Hyundai Sonata GLS.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Wilkes-Barre, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will have a requirement that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in Pennsylvania is overpaying over $800 each year so compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper insurance with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't always list all possible discounts very well, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using when you buy Wilkes-Barre auto insurance online.
- Driver Safety - Participating in a course teaching defensive driving skills is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Having all your vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Low annual miles can qualify you for better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Payment Method - By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
Don't be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include driver training, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, good student, and five-year accident-free.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including annual mileage, multi-car, location of vehicle, age of vehicle, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include early shopping, bundle discounts, homeowner, multi-car, and switch companies.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for paid in full, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, multiple vehicles, and safe vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for multi-policy, good student, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, newly married, safety features, and new move discount.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, multi-car, homeowner, bundle discounts, accident prevention training, and teen safety rewards.
- Progressive has savings for good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- USAA has discounts for vehicle storage, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, family discount, military installation, annual mileage, and safe driver.
Check with every company the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above may not apply in your area. If you would like to view insurers that offer many of these discounts in Pennsylvania, click here.
Local Wilkes-Barre insurance agents
Some consumers prefer to have an agent's advice and that is a smart decision Good agents are very good at helping people manage risk and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying insurance from local agents is especially important in Wilkes-Barre.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the coverage information is sent to companies in Wilkes-Barre who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you would need to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a local insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Wilkes-Barre can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it's a good idea to understand why they differ because it can impact the selection process.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not required to write business for one company so they can quote policies with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to do anything. When shopping rates, you will definitely want to get quotes from at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
Exclusive agencies can usually just insure with one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well schooled on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents partially due to loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Deciding on an insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Wilkes-Barre?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
When in doubt talk to an agent
When buying coverage online or from an agent, there really is no "best" method to buy coverage. You are unique.
For instance, these questions can help discover whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
If you're not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It's fast, free and can help protect your family.
Car insurance coverages and their meanings
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Due to the fact that many Pennsylvania drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as colliding with another moving vehicle, scraping a guard rail and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to a person or their property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see policy limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people's vehicles, medical services, loss of income and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Pennsylvania state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses such as ambulance fees, nursing services, X-ray expenses and EMT expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive car insurance
This coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane and vandalism. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
We just covered a lot of information how to find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with the smaller companies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
Cost effective insurance is attainable online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
For more information, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- Think You're a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in York, Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)