Trying to come up with a payment for expensive car insurance can draw down your savings account and force you to prioritize other expenses. Getting a rate comparison is free and is an excellent way to tighten up your finances.
A recent car insurance study revealed that almost 70% of insureds kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and 38% of drivers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. State College drivers could save an average of 55% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't want to take the time to find cheaper rates by getting comparison quotes. Lots of auto insurance companies contend for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the best coverage at the lowest cost out there.
You need to compare premium rates as often as possible because insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the lowest price on car insurance last year there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because we're going to demonstrate how to use the internet to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you have coverage now or just want to reduce your rates, follow these tips to cut your premiums without having to cut coverage. Buying affordable insurance in State College is quite easy. Comparison shoppers just need to know the proper methods to compare prices on the web.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is not a difficult process. All that's required is to spend a little time comparing rates from different insurance companies.
Doing online price quotes comparisons is so easy that it makes it a waste of time to physically go to all the different State College insurance agencies. The internet makes this unnecessary unless you're the type of person who wants the professional guidance of a local agency. It is possible to get the lowest quotes online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
The companies shown below provide price quotes in State College, PA. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$944||$472||$79|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,244||$622||$104|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$968||$484||$81|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$992||$496||$83|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$782||$391||$65|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$934||$467||$78|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$964||$482||$80|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$716||$358||$60|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,194||$597||$100|
|Honda Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$820||$410||$68|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,414||$707||$118|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,288||$644||$107|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,380||$690||$115|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,170||$585||$98|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in specific location information which can affect price quotes greatly.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Hyundai Sonata car insurance rates with full coverage compared to only the Pennsylvania minimum liability coverage. Data assumes a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no exact rule for excluding physical damage insurance, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Hyundai Sonata replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $6,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $600 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
An analysis of deductible level
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can increase or decrease Ford Fusion premium costs for each age group. The costs are based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Earn discounts on State College insurance
Some insurance providers don't always publicize every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy State College car insurance online.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying a new car model is cheaper due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Online Discount - Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive shop State College car insurance digitally online.
- Student Discounts - Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a State College car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles with the same insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Driver's Ed - Have your child enroll in driver's education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
As a sidenote, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn't work that way.
Companies that may offer quotes with these money-saving discounts include:
If you are trying to find inexpensive State College car insurance quotes, ask every company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in State College. For a list of companies with discount rates in State College, click here to view.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
A small number of people still like to sit down and talk to an agent. Professional insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain lower prices and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local agencies is important especially in State College.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If you have a need to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
If you are searching for a good State College insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agencies in State College are considered either exclusive or independent. Either one can write auto insurance policies, but it's important to point out how they differ since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies through many different auto insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part. When searching for an agent, you need to contact several independent agencies in order to compare the most rates.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company's prices such as AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Finding the right auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in State College?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
How to know if you need help
When quoting and comparing insurance from an agent or online, there isn't really a single plan that fits everyone. Your situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Can I insure my car for more than it's worth?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
How insurance providers determine auto insurance rates
Many different elements are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but other criteria are more transparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating. Consumers need to have an understanding of a few of the rating criteria that help determine your auto insurance rates. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to lower rates.
Your credit score is important - Your credit history is a big factor in determining premium rates. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than those with lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit can be improved, you could save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit.
No policy claims equals cheaper auto insurance rates - If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in Pennsylvania generally give better rates to people who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
Don't buy incidental coverages that aren't used - Policies have extra add-on coverages you can purchase but may not be useful. Coverage for things like personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and extra life insurance coverage are some examples. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
Safer cars save money - Cars with five star safety ratings cost less to insure. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company which can result in lower premiums.
Insurance is expensive for youthful drivers - Older people are proven to be safer behind the wheel, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are safer drivers.Youthful drivers tend to get distracted easily when at the wheel of a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in Pennsylvania is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in State College, insuring your vehicle is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $865 each year so you should quote rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Be persistent and save
We just showed you some good ideas how to find cheaper coverage online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates are with a lesser-known regional company. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Pennsylvania? (FAQ)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)